JAPAN: Brewers' sales slide to new low
Poor weather has dealt Japanese brewers a harsh blow between July and September. In a period usually known for strong demand, domestic beer shipments registered their lowest levels since comparable figures became available in 1992.
According to local reports, figures from the country's five leading brewers showed domestic beer shipments in the period fell 3.2% from a year earlier to 137.62m cases.
Reports said a high level of rainy days combined with an anti-drink-driving campaign hit demand.
In the nine-month period to September, shipments fell a less dramatic 0.6% year on year to 368.28m cases. However, it still marked a record low for the first nine-months.
In September, shipments of "third beer" continued to rise, up 10.8% to 8.86m cases. This was offset though by an 8.5% fall in regular beer to 20.95m cases, and a 7.8% fall in low-malt brews to 11.14m cases.
Japanese beverage alcohol wholesaler Izmic Corp. has reportedly bought rival firm Yoshikawasyuhan Corp. for an undisclosed sum....
A major shareholder in Pernod Ricard has upped its stake in the French drinks giant....
Shepherd Neame has reported a 7% rise in underlying profits for the first half of its financial year....
The latest review of new drinks products has highlighted a juice-heavy energy drink, a controversially-named coffee and some new packaging innovations....
Japan's Sapporo Holdings is reportedly mulling an effective takeover bid from US hedge fund Steel Partners Japan....
Chinese beer maker Kingway Brewery said today (14 February) that its CNY400m (US$51.5m) plant in the city of Foshan will be up and running early next year....
Japan's brewers, fierce rivals as they fight for share of the country's stagnant beer market, are reportedly set to join forces in a campaign to boost sales....
Kirin Brewery Co. has today (7 February) outlined plans to consolidate its alcohol, soft drinks and other businesses under one holding company....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends