AUS: Brewers push for tax freeze - report
Australia's brewers are hoping the government will follow the UK
Brewers in Australia are urging the Government to follow the UK's lead by taking action on beer duty, according to local reports.
The industry has called on the country's Treasurer, Wayne Swan, to freeze beer tax in next month's Budget, The Australian reported yesterday (21 April). Brewers say they are suffering from one of the highest duty rates in the world.
In its submission to the Treasury, Carlton & United Breweries, the brewing arm of SABMiller subsidiary Foster's Group, says that the beer industry is "no longer recession proof" and has been hit by drinkers spending less, it was reported.
Under the Australian system, beer tax is raised twice a year, linked to inflation, similar to the UK's duty escalator system. The model was introduced in Australia 30 years ago by then-Prime Minister Bob Hawke.
Last month, the UK Government removed beer from its duty escalator system, but kept it in place for wine, spirits and cider. Chancellor George Osborne also cut duty on a pint of beer by GBP0.01.
Broad economic and political stability bodes well for future growth in beer and spirits in Africa, but the head of Diageo's operations in the region has conceded that there may be "bumps in the road" ...
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research