JAPAN: Brewer's droop hits Japan
A fall in beer consumption continues to hit Japan's major brewers, with two of its top beer makers reporting sales falls for the first half of the year.Kirin Brewery said sales fell 5.4%, but the firm's pretax profits jumped 8.3% to Y33.25 billion, for the six months ended June 30 2000. Sales totalled Y4.86.75 billion. However operating profits fell 6.3% to Y22.77 billion.Kirin's managed to report a gain in pretax profits because of an accounting change in reporting unrealised losses from securities.Kirin reported that the volume of sales fell 5.9%, with Kirin lager dropping 19%. However sales of low-malt Kirin Tanrei climbed 13%. Low malt beer is cheaper than normal beer as it is subject to a lower tax rate.Sapporo Breweries saw a fall of 3.6% in sales in the first half to Y215.24 billion. Unconsolidated pre-tax profits slumped 65% to Y1.17 billion. Operating profits fell 26% to Y4.02 billion.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research