Product Launch - UK: BrewDog's This. Is. Lager.
BrewDog's This.Is. Lager. launches tomorrow
BrewDog's This. Is. Lager.
Category - Beer, pilsner lager, 4.7% abv
Available - From tomorrow (3 September), on draught and in bottle
Location - BrewDog's UK bars initially, then wider on- and off-trade distribution and online at Ales by Mail
Price - GBP1.70 (US$2.80) per bottle, online
Distribution - BrewDog direct and Ales by Mail (online)
Scottish craft brewer BrewDog is launching a lager brand in a bid to "redefine" the beer style in the UK.
This. Is. Lager, a 4.7% abv pilsner, is brewed with 100% malt and what the brewer claims is "ten times the hops of most industrial lagers".
James Watt, BrewDog's co-founder, said: “For years, global breweries have spent millions convincing the British public that lager is a beer style best served as fizzy, tasteless liquid cardboard propped up by snappy straplines, glamorous advertising or counterfeit stories of foreign provenance. We hope to perpetuate a movement of craft breweries blazing a new trail for lager, proving it’s a misunderstood, neglected beer style.”
This. Is. Lager. will initially be available in bottle format and on draught in BrewDog's UK on-trade outlets, followed by a wider roll-out to the UK on-trade and off-trade.
A spokesperson told just-drinks the lager will be "widely available" as part of BrewDog's 'headliners' range alongside beers such as Punk IPA and 5AM Saint.
Watt also claimed the launch could help tackle the UK's so-called binge drinking issues. “If we can redefine lager in the UK, we will redefine our relationship with alcohol," he said.
In July, it emerged that BrewDog is planning to branch out into the spirits category and is on the hunt for a distiller.
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits