Exclusive - UK: BrewDog plans new beer with 'Texas Joe'
BrewDog is set to launch a beer with the beef jerky entrepreneur
BrewDog is developing a beer with 'Texas Joe' – the entrepreneur made famous by the BBC show Dragon's Den - for launch next year.
A test batch has been produced by the Scottish brewer, with the provisional name 'Texas Bock', just-drinks understands. The lager-style brew, with an abv of around 5%, is based on the Shiner bock made by Texas brewer Spoetzl.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks this week, 'Texas Joe', whose real name is Joe Walters, said: “This was my idea and I'm really excited about it. It will be a tribute to one of my favourite beers – Shiner Bock, but a bit more hoppy."
Walters said he expects the brew, which will be available in draught and bottles, to launch in the Spring and will be sold in BrewDog's bars. He also hopes it will be rolled out to national retailers.
Nobody was available for comment at BrewDog when contacted by just-drinks today.
Walters, who has lived in London for the past three years, appeared on Dragon's Den in August this year to convince the the show's panel to invest in his beef jerky brand. He was offered GBP50,000 (US$80,373) for a 24% stake, but the deal subsequently fell through.
BrewDog founder, James Watt, has a 23% stake in his business. Walters has also opened a pop-up restauarant at BrewDog's bar in Shoreditch, east London.
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research