CANADA: Brazil tax gain lifts Molson Coors' Q1 profits
Demand for Molson Coors beers still sluggish
Proceeds from a tax settlement in Brazil lifted Molson Coors Brewing Co's first quarter profits and helped the brewer to offset ongoing sluggish demand for beer in its core western markets.
A one-off gain of US$42.6m from the firm's former Brazilian business, Cervejarias Kaiser Brazil, saw net profits rise by 38% to US$104.6m for the three months to the end of March. Net profits were $75.7m in the same period of the previous year, Molson Coors said today (4 May).
However, net profits excluding this gain fell by more than 25% to $62.8m, compared to $80m a year earlier.
Beer volume sales fell by 4%, although price rises in the UK helped the brewer to increase net sales to $661m for the quarter, against $559m in 2009.
"In the first quarter of 2010, we continued to face challenging economic and beer industry conditions, primarily as the result of high unemployment and a slow recovery in consumer confidence," said Molson Coors CEO Peter Swinburn.
"Nevertheless, we are seeing signs of progress in key areas of our business, as a result of our continued investment and focus on brands and innovation," he said. He picked out volume and market share growth in Canada, underlying earnings growth at MillerCoors in the US and higher margins in the UK as positive highlights of the quarter.
Operating profits for the three months fell to $107.5 versus $117.2m in the same period of 2009.
For the full announcement, click here.
MillerCoors has confirmed a sponsorship deal for the unit's Miller Lite beer brand with the CONCACAF Gold Cup soccer tournament in North and Latin America....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review