Brau Union has turned its Gasteiner mineral water unit into a joint venture.

The Austrian company, which is owned by Heineken, confirmed today (8 October) that it has sold 51% of Gasteiner to fruit juice producer Spitz. Financial details of the deal, which will see Brau Union retain the remaining 49% of Gasteiner, were not disclosed.

Brau Union and Spitz said that they plan to invest in the brand and its production facility in Gastein going forward, and have already lined up the roll-out of a glass bottle version of the water.

The transaction is due to close in the coming weeks, the two companies said.

Annual production at Gasteiner currently runs in the region of 55m glass and PET bottles.