Bourbon, Irish whiskey win big in decade of US spirits growth - figures
Irish whiskey has seen volumes surge over the past decade
New IWSR figures have highlighted the past decade's soar-away spirits growth in the US, with Bourbon adding 56% in volumes and Irish whiskey jumping by 409%.
Overall, US spirits volumes surged 29% to 221.6m nine-litre cases between 2005 and 2015, according to the IWSR's 2016 US Beverage Alcohol Review. However, the period has seen "unprecedented growth" for some categories.
As well as the volumes boost for Bourbon and Irish whiskey, which last year shifted 14.8m cases and 3.1m cases respectively, vodka increased by 52.8% to 71.3m cases and Tequila by 64.8% to 15.2m cases in the past ten years.
Meanwhile, mezcal grew 279% to reach 110,000 nine-litre cases.
The IWSR figures showed US spirits' strong growth continued in 2015. Total US whiskey climbed by 4.6% in the year while Canadian whisky volumes grew by 9.8% to end 2015 with a total of 21.6m nine-litre cases. Scotch whisky volumes edged up by 0.3% to 8.2m nine-litre cases and a 3.7% share of the overall spirits industry.
Losers included gin, which declined by 1.7%, or 167,000 nine-litre cases, to 9.9m nine-litre cases. Vodka grew volumes by 1% in the year.
Yesterday, US trade organisation the Distilled Spirits Council said it is "disappointed" with the UK's decision to leave the EU.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts