UK: Bottled water volumes edge up in 2012
Bottled water's recovery continues apace
UK bottled water volumes grew by 3.3% last year as the industry continued its recovery from the 2006 slump, new figures have revealed.
Bottle sizes under ten litres, which accounted for 88% of total sales, increased volumes by 4.7% in 2012 year-on-year, according to Zenith International’s 2013 UK Bottled Water market report released last week. Sales by value were not detailed by Zenith.
Meanwhile, the report showed that Highland Spring has leapfrogged Evian as the UK's biggest-selling bottled water brand. The Scottish brand sold 200m litres last year, up by 9%. Third highest seller was Buxton, followed by Volvic and Nestlé Pure Life.
“After being held back in the early stages of the recent recession, bottled water has regained momentum,” Zenith chairman Richard Hall said. “Consumers are now viewing more positively its key benefits of healthy hydration, on-the-go convenience, competitive pricing and environmental credentials.”
Declines in the bottled water cooler market speeded up, as customers increasingly turned to mains-supply water filters, the report said. Cooler volumes dropped by 4.7% year-on-year compared to a 3.1% decline in 2011.
Zenith said the overall bottled water market will increase by 15% by 2017.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Following the acquisition of Irish company C&C (Ireland) Ltd in 2007 Britvic Ireland Ltd has held a firm position in soft drinks, offering leading brands such as Club and Ballygowan in Ireland. Despit...
Danone Waters Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in bottled water in Germany. The company offers different brands within bottled water, including Volvic and Evian. Its main strategy is to f...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future