UK: Bottled water volumes edge up in 2012
Bottled water's recovery continues apace
UK bottled water volumes grew by 3.3% last year as the industry continued its recovery from the 2006 slump, new figures have revealed.
Bottle sizes under ten litres, which accounted for 88% of total sales, increased volumes by 4.7% in 2012 year-on-year, according to Zenith International’s 2013 UK Bottled Water market report released last week. Sales by value were not detailed by Zenith.
Meanwhile, the report showed that Highland Spring has leapfrogged Evian as the UK's biggest-selling bottled water brand. The Scottish brand sold 200m litres last year, up by 9%. Third highest seller was Buxton, followed by Volvic and Nestlé Pure Life.
“After being held back in the early stages of the recent recession, bottled water has regained momentum,” Zenith chairman Richard Hall said. “Consumers are now viewing more positively its key benefits of healthy hydration, on-the-go convenience, competitive pricing and environmental credentials.”
Declines in the bottled water cooler market speeded up, as customers increasingly turned to mains-supply water filters, the report said. Cooler volumes dropped by 4.7% year-on-year compared to a 3.1% decline in 2011.
Zenith said the overall bottled water market will increase by 15% by 2017.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts