UK: Bottled water survives wet 2012 in UK as squash volumes sink
Water gained in volumes and sales last year
Off-premise bottled water sales in the UK surged last year, as squash drinks floundered in a rain-lashed 12 months, new figures from Britvic have shown.
Plain water saw a 4% sales increase in 2012, with volumes up by 2.3%, according to the Soft Drinks Review 2013 published by Britvic this week. “Water plus”, which includes sparkling and flavoured water, performed even better, up by 7.4% in sales and 7.7% in volumes, the report said.
The figures are based on Mintel research in the grocery, impulse and convenience channels in the UK.
In contrast, squash sales in the three channels were up by just 1.8% while volumes slumped by 5%.
The figures dovetail with Britvic's full-year results in November, which blamed bad weather for a drop in sales and profits in the country. Britvic owns the Robinson's squash brand, and last year was involved in a costly recall of its Fruit Shoot range.
Energy drinks remained impervious to the country's weather woes, climbing by 10% in sales value and 9% in volumes, the report said. Meanwhile fruit juice and smoothie maker Innocent had a strong year, boosting sales by 32% and volumes by 53% in the grocery, impulse and convenience channels.
Overall, the soft drinks industry saw sales value increase by 2.8% in 2012 and volumes dip by 0.8% in the three channels. Pub and club volumes were down by 3%, the report said, while sales value in the channel edged up by 1.5%.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research