US: Bottled water sales continue to rise - figures
US bottled water sales and consumption continue to rise, as consumers increasingly choose bottled water over other beverages, according to figures out this week.
The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA), in conjunction with Beverage Marketing Corporation (BMC), yesterday (9 April) released bottled water statistics for the year 2006 showing that total bottled water volume in the country exceeded 8.25bn gallons. The figure represents a 9.5% increase over 2005.
The 2006 bottled water per capita consumption level reached 27.6 gallons, increasing by over two gallons from 25.4 gallons per capita the previous year.
Additionally, the wholesale dollar sales for bottled water exceeded US$10.8bn in 2006, an 8.5% increase over the $10bn in 2005.
"While all beverages have their role in a marketplace with an abundance of drink choices, consumers are choosing bottled water as a refreshing, hydrating beverage and as an alternative to others that may contain calories, caffeine, sugar, artificial colours, alcohol or other ingredients, which they wish to moderate or avoid," said Stephen Kay, IBWA vice president of communications. "For instance, during 2006, individual servings of bottled water in sizes of 1.5 litres and smaller accounted for 57.1% of the volume of bottled water sold, indicating that consumers are choosing bottled water in lieu of other bottled drinks."
Indian conglomerate UB Group has announced a raft of key executive appointments at at its drinks subsidiaries, Whyte & Mackay, United Spirits and United Breweries, promoting long-standing employees to...
A recent report has predicted a gloomy future for the beer market in the UK....
Norwegian brewer Hansa Borg is set to market a 'Golden beer' if Brann Bergen football team, based in the western Norwegian city where Hansa is brewed, wins the league title next week....
A survey of UK drinkers has found that 18 to 25 year olds and those living in the north of England are more prepared to change their drinking habits based on increased alcohol education....
Russian Standard has secured permanent listings for its vodka range in Finland....
Miller Brewing and the American Motorcyclist Association have partnered to promote a safe motorcycle riding practises and responsible alcohol consumption campaign across the US....
Weight Watchers has prepared a sparkling variant of its wine range in the UK....
Belvedere Group has posted a marked slide in operating profit for the first half of this year....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research