UK: Bottled water makers unite to form lobby group
The Natural Hydration Council will begin work on 1 September to research and promote the environmental, health and other sustainable benefits of natural bottled water, the three firms said today (29 August).
Bottled water sellers have faced repeated criticism from environmental campaigners, largely because of the amount of PET plastic they use for bottles.
The three companies said the new body would "provide authoritative information and advice for researchers, government, the industry, media and public about the economic and social value and impact of bottled water".
"Not many people realise that natural bottled water comes from fully sustainable sources and in recyclable packaging," added Paolo Sangiorgi, managing director of Nestlé Waters UK.
The Council will have an office based in London, led by Jeremy Clarke as its newly appointed director.
A 10-year bottled water boom in the UK was curtailed last year after sales fell 4% by volume, due to poor weather, the Council said.
The bottled water industry in the US appears to be doing a good job of defending the sector against criticism from environmental campaigners, as underlined by recent sales figures. But Annette Farr is...
Danone's bottled water division emerged as the group's achilles heel in 2008, with some analysts suggesting the French giant would consider off-loading some of the business if it could....
The economic downturn could not have come at a worse time for the bottled water industry. Not only is the category battling to win the consumer's pennies and cents, but it has also had to battle again...
The children's drinks market has changed substantially in recent years as health concerns have increased. However, writes Simon Maddrell of Euromonitor International, some companies have been quicker ...
Falling bottled water sales in 2008 provided the blip in Nestle's sales and profit rise for its full-year....
French bottled water giant Groupe Danone has said that it will make its Evian and Volvic brands "plastics neutral" in the UK....
Groupe Danone, the French water and dairy giant, has reported a 15% rise in net profit for 2008 and predicted a further rise in 2009, despite recession in key markets....
Chinese drinks group Hangzhou Wahaha has said that it remains largely unaffected by the global economic downturn, and plans to double its sales within five years....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends