UK/US: Boston Beer Co ties with Shepherd Neame in UK
Shepherd Neame will brew Boston Beer Co's Samuel Adams' brand in the UK under licence
US craft brewer Boston Beer Co has agreed a deal with the UK's Shepherd Neame that will see the Samuel Adams brand brewed outside its home market for the first time.
Shepherd Neame said earlier this week that it will brew Samuel Adams Boston Lager under licence in the UK, for sale on draught from April. It already imports packaged Samuel Adams into the UK, but will replace 35.5cl US-style bottles with British 33cl and 50cl formats.
“The primary aim is to improve the freshness of the Sam Adams we’re offering to British beer drinkers,” said Boston Beer's founder, Jim Koch.
Graeme Craig, Shepherd Neame’s sales and marketing director, added: “We’re seeing growing interest in the US craft beer scene and we both felt this was a better way of doing things rather than an elongated supply chain.”
Craig also said that Shepherd Neame has ended contract-brewing for Carlsberg-owned Holsten Export after both parties mutually agreed not to renew the deal.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020