US: Boston Beer Co targets taste with US$1m "Sam Can"
Click through to view the new Samuel Adams can
The Boston Beer Co is to launch its Boston Lager brand in cans in the US, after spending two years and US$1m on development.
The “Sam Can”, due out this summer, gives consumers a drinking experience closer to drinking from a glass than regular cans, the company said today (19 February). It positions the drinker's nose over the can opening so they can better smell the beer, while a curved lip delivers liquid to the front of the palate, Samuel Adams said.
It will be the first time Boston Lager has been available in cans, the craft brewer said.
“I believe we’ve designed a can that provides a slight but noticeably better drinking experience than the standard beer can,” Boston Beer Co founder Jim Koch said.
The new can, designed in partnership with Ball Corporation, will be available in 12-packs in the US nation-wide from early summer for an SRP of between $14.99 and $17.99, Samuel Adams said.
Last year, US craft brewer Arcadia Ales launched more of its craft beer brands in aluminium cans to help make the product more accessible to consumers.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages