US: Boston Beer Co posts YTD profits rise as volumes jump
- YTD net profits up 23% to US$52.3m
- Net sales up 25% to $533.7m
- Operating profits up 22% to $84m
- Q3 profits up 24% to $25.7m
Boston Beer increased Q3 shipments by 29%
The Boston Beer Co has posted a jump in year-to-date profits as an increase in marketing spend failed to offset higher sales and volumes.
Net profits were up 23% to US$52.3m in the 39 weeks to 29 September, the Samuel Adams brewer said yesterday (30 October). Net sales climbed by 25% to $533.7m over the same period while operating profits rose by 22% to $84m.
Third-quarter results were similar, with net profits for the 13-week period up by 24% to $25.7m. Net sales jumped by 30% to $216.4m while operating profits increased by 27% to $42.2m.
Boston Beer attributed the profits rise to an increase in volumes that in the third-quarter saw an extra 993,000 barrels - a 29% increase - sent out compared to the same 13-week period last year. YTD volumes were up by 23%.
New brand investment saw advertising, promotional and selling and customer program and incentive costs increase by a combined 25%, or $11.8m, in the third quarter, the company said. In YTD, those costs were up by $28m.
“We believe that the strength of our main brands is reflective of strong sales execution and our increased investments in media, local marketing and point of sale, and the efforts of our increased sales force,” Boston Beer CEO Martin Roper said. “We have raised our expectations for 2013 full-year depletions growth to between 21% and 24% to reflect the current trends.”
Boston Beer got the year off to a poor start as Q1 profits dropped on higher advertising costs. However, in first-half results, released in August, profits growth was back in line with sales increases.
The company yesterday admitted that sales from its craft beer incubator, Alchemy & Science, “have not been significant” and are not yet likely to cover investment in the project.
Alchemy & Science, which houses brands such as Angel City Brewery, Traveler Beer Company and the Just Beer Project, was behind Boston Beer's purchase of the Coney Island brand from Shmaltz Brewing Company in August.
Boston Beer's share price ended trading yesterday up 0.8% at $247.70.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
In 2013 and the coming years, the company is expected to continue its focus on developing new beers for its flagship Samuel Adams brand, alongside continued innovation of Twisted Tea (available in all...
When Ken Grossman co-founded Sierra Nevada Brewing Co 35 years ago, he had little expectation of the huge success the company would achieve. Today, it is the second largest craft brewer in the US, beh...
Beer manufacturers have largely ignored the US cider/perry category as sales have historically been less than a fraction of a percentage of those of beer. However, the contraction of the US beer categ...
Earlier today (31 March), US trade body The Brewers Association released a list of the largest craft brewers in the country in volume terms. Here is a list of the top 50....
The analysts in this report forecast the Craft Beer market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 17.46 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the chan...
Earlier today (31 March), US trade body The Brewers Association released a list of the largest brewers in the country in volume terms....
The biggest story in beer in the US in 2012 was the fact that the category achieved positive growth after three consecutive years of decline. Beer manufacturers and distributors are still very concern...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research