INDIA/ITALY: Bosca, UB end India wine partnership
Italy-based wine group Bosca has parted company with India's UB Group, its distributor in the Indian market.
Bosca, which has had a winery in India since 1970, is one of the oldest and most widely recognised wine brands in the country.
Polina Bosca, agribusiness manager at the Italian group, told just-drinks today (21 February) that the two companies had different views on how to grow in India's nascent, but growing, wine market.
"Both of us have an interest in following new and different paths in the effervescent Indian wine market," Bosca said. She refused to comment further on the reasons behind the move but said Bosca would announce its future plans in India "in the next few weeks".
For its part, UB is looking to expand its own presence in the Indian wine market. The company has reportedly set up its first wine subsidiary in the state of Maharashtra, the country's wine heartland.
The company's move is a sign of confidence in India's wine market, where consumption is rising by around 30% a year.
The recent takeover of Whyte & Mackay by the Indian UB Group is hardly the first time the Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer has changed hands over the past 20 years or so. Patience Gould, who has s...
Bringing together the great and the good of the world's whisky distillers, The World Whisky Conference - which ran this week in Glasgow - saw just-drinks out in force. Chris Brook-Carter looks back at...
Economic growth and rising personal incomes in the Asia Pacific region may make it an exciting growth area for international brands but the potential for international spirits varies considerably from...
Having consolidated its spirits operations into one company, UB Group is looking to build on its position of strength in the Indian market and establish itself internationally. Euromonitor Internation...
United Spirits' debts have risen following the acquisition of Scottish whisky firm Whyte & Mackay, according to reports....
Whyte & Mackay has reduced its losses in its last fiscal year, according to recently-released accounts....
Whyte & Mackay has trumpeted the arrival of India's UB Group into the Scotch whisky industry. The company, which was bought today (16 May) by UB for GBP595m (US$1.18bn) believes the entry of UB, owned...
The Scotch Whisky Association has broadly welcomed today's (16 May) purchase of Whyte & Mackay by India's UB Group....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages