FRANCE: Bordeaux wine sales rise - just - figures
Bordeaux wine sales in the year to the end of July have registered a slight lift, according to recent figures.
The Conseil interprofessionnel du vin de Bordeaux (CIVB) said yesterday (22 October) that overall sales of Bordeaux wine rose by 3% in volume, to a total 5.67m hectolitres, and 4% in value to EUR1.28bn (US$1.82bn) for the period.
Increases in domestic sales volumes, however, were only up 0.4% on last year to 3.8m hectolitres.
"The objective now is to increase the level and the amount of wine we export, which is still less than 40%," said Alain Vironneau, CIVB president.
Bordeaux's export market currently accounts for 32% of sales, while the remaining 68% is domestic.
Separately, Vironneau has called for more power to be decentralised to France's individual wine regions, along the lines of New World winemaking countries. Bordeaux's future should not be decided by regulatory groups based in Paris, he said.
The fevered atmosphere pervading Bordeaux as it awaits reaction to this year’s en primeurs puts Chris Losh in mind of an unfortunate experience that befell him two years ago. Buying en primeur can be ...
A new generic campaign from Wine Australia in the UK is looking to promote regionality and take consumers beyond the 'brand Australia' concept. While the move offers a chance to trade consumers up, wr...
As wine regions are defined by the balance between grape variety and local temperature, climate change is likely to have major implications for the wine industry. The challenges ahead were discussed b...
Growth for wine in emerging markets, the possibility that European wine producers will regain some ground on the New World, and continued consumer interest in healthier drinks are among the many forec...
Constellation Brands has posted a marked loss for its fiscal year....
United Spirits Limited (USL), the world's third-largest spirits company has launched the first-of-its-kind retail outlet for liquor Spiritz & More in Bangalore, India....
Constellation Europe is planning to increase the focus and support behind its premium wine portofolio during the coming year, the European arm of the US-based wines and spirits force has announced....
Spanish wine exports rose a record 12.4% in 2007 to EUR1.8bn (US$2.71bn), boosted by higher prices and rising demand from key markets in the UK and the US, trade federation FEV has reported....
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman