FRANCE: Bordeaux wine city to be "whole wine universe under one roof"
An artist's impression of part of the planned Bordeaux wine city
Bordeaux's planned EUR63m (US$86m) "wine city" will mark the first time "the whole wine universe will be housed under one roof", according to the project's president.
Speaking to just-drinks today (6 December) Sylvie Cazes said 'La Cité des Civilisations du Vin', scheduled to open in March 2016, will be "the starting point in a wine tourist's journey of discovery, not just of Bordeaux and French vineyards, but vineyards worldwide."
She added: "The centre is neither a museum nor a theme park, but an original concept which lies somewhere in between, conveying knowledge on the history, tradition and culture of wine in all its aspects and in an interactive way."
The project is attracting total investment of EUR63m, of which over 50% is being financed by the European Union via the European Regional Development Fund and the City of Bordeaux. The Bordeaux wine trade body, the Conseil Interprofessionnel du Vin de Bordeaux (CIVB) is also a stakeholder.
The 10,000 sqm edifice, which will boast an eye-catching curvaeous design, is aiming to attract around 400,000 annual visitors.
Situated on the banks of the Garonne river, it is expected to create up to 750 jobs and contribute EUR40m to the local economy each year.
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends