UK: Bordeaux UK founder given nine-year directorship ban
The director of collapsed wine investment firm Bordeaux UK has been banned from directorships for nine years for failing to keep proper company books and records.
Ian Paul Vanderhook, 34, from Kent, has been disqualified from directing, managing or controlling a company until 2022, the UK Insolvency Service said late last week. Bordeaux UK went into creditors’ liquidation in November 2011 with debts of around GBP10m, the agency said.
The company took “over” GBP23m from investors between October 2008 and November 2011 of which, only GBP4.6m was used to purchase wine, according to the Insolvency Service.
An investigation by the agency showed Vanderhook had failed to keep "adequate" books and records for three companies, Bordeaux UK Limited, Van Der Hook Management Limited and Van Der Hook Consultancy Limited.
Liquidator, Nedim Ailyan, called the situation a “mismanagement on a colossal scale”.
Vanderhook, a former lift engineer, set up Bordeaux UK in 2002 to encourage members of the public to invest in fine wines, predominantly from the Bordeaux region.
Vanderhook has given an undertaking to the Business Sercretary not to be a director or manage or control a company until after the disqualification ends, the agency said.
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard to shut down Morris Winery
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview