UK: Bordeaux UK founder given nine-year directorship ban
The director of collapsed wine investment firm Bordeaux UK has been banned from directorships for nine years for failing to keep proper company books and records.
Ian Paul Vanderhook, 34, from Kent, has been disqualified from directing, managing or controlling a company until 2022, the UK Insolvency Service said late last week. Bordeaux UK went into creditors’ liquidation in November 2011 with debts of around GBP10m, the agency said.
The company took “over” GBP23m from investors between October 2008 and November 2011 of which, only GBP4.6m was used to purchase wine, according to the Insolvency Service.
An investigation by the agency showed Vanderhook had failed to keep "adequate" books and records for three companies, Bordeaux UK Limited, Van Der Hook Management Limited and Van Der Hook Consultancy Limited.
Liquidator, Nedim Ailyan, called the situation a “mismanagement on a colossal scale”.
Vanderhook, a former lift engineer, set up Bordeaux UK in 2002 to encourage members of the public to invest in fine wines, predominantly from the Bordeaux region.
Vanderhook has given an undertaking to the Business Sercretary not to be a director or manage or control a company until after the disqualification ends, the agency said.
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research