FRANCE: Bordeaux starts global promotion campaign to oust Australia
French winemakers are to launch a new offensive aimed at warding off competition from New World wines.
Launched in March 2000, the Union des Grands Crus de Chablis has a simple aim: to defend and promote the quality of Chablis Grand Cru wines. It is a voluntary, non-profit-making association of 18 vineyard owners, situated within the appellation.
Acknowledging the stiff competition it now faces from Australia and other wine-producing countries, it is to initiate a global campaign to promote the top Bordeaux wines throughout Asia, the Americas and Europe.
Patrick Maroteaux, president of the Union of Bordeaux Grands Crus, said. "It is reassuring to see that in the high quality wine market, New World wines but also Italian or Spanish wines, are often more expensive than our wines,"
"Great Bordeaux vintages are experiencing growing competition, but also a growing market [...] consumers are drinking less, but drinking better. It is important for us to find our place in this market and to develop it."
He continued by stressing the importance of showing the high quality of Bordeaux wines in market where competitors from Australia have only just started to make wines that rival the standard of those in Europe.
After a successful 2000 vintage, the union members say they are confident that their 2001 vintages will be "high quality".
Recently published research indicates that while consumers have taken to the clear and modern marketing techniques employed by New World producers, they still cherish the romance and mystique of wine,...
Seven French wine co-operatives have joined forces to create a brand to compete with its New World rivals....
Cosentino Signature Wines is looking to raise over GBP10m from its impending stock market float....
US wine and spirits distributor New World Brands has appointed David Rudden as CEO....
Napa Valley's Cosentino Signature Wineries plans to raise US$30m by listing on London's AIM market this month....
UK off-licence retail group Unwins is planning to float its Phillips Newman subsidiary on the Aim stock market, and then plans to float itself on the Aim market, according to the Daily Telegraph....
The Swedish state-run alcohol retailer Systembolaget is to set up a subsidiary whose aim will be to cut alcohol consumption, the local press reported today (6 May)....
The UK brewer Young & Co.'s has proposed simplify its share structure, in a plan that is expected to provide greater liquidity in its voting shares....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review