FRANCE: Bordeaux launches wine campaign
Bordeaux wines are set for a new promotional blitz. The area's wine industry body, Conseil Interprofessionel du Vin de Bordeaux (CIVB), has launched a new campaign under the slogan "100 Bordeaux wines below €15" (US$20), it was reported last Friday (26 November).
Contrary to the widely-held view that Bordeaux wines are expensive, only 5% of them cost more than €15, CIVB president, Christian Delpeuch, said. CIVB has asked five local wine guide publishers - Hachette, Bettane & Desseauve, Gerbelle e& Maurange, Gault & Millau and Guide des Sommeliers - to choose 100 Bordeaux wines at a price of below €15 to be included in a brochure. The brochure will be presented at PR conferences in London, New York, Montreal, Toronto, San Francisco, Chicago, Brussels, Tokyo, Shanghai and Moscow.
A total of 70% of CIVB's annual budget of €21m is dedicated to promotion and advertisement. The organisation also plans to allocate around 20 licences for wine tasting professional schools outside France in the next five years.
But these measures are not enough to pull the Bordeaux wine industry out of crisis, Delpeuch warned. Wine production in the region should be reduced by 1m hectolitres per year, corresponding to 15% of overall production, Delpeuch said.
The reduction has to be carried out via the uprooting of vines even if the French government and the local authorities refuse to increase the €6,300 aid per hectare for the uprooting, he added.
I'm not one naturally to side with the hugely rich and influential, but I can't help but feel a twinge of sympathy for those members of the Taittinger clan who wanted to keep the family business. Alas...
The last month has seen the launch of two prestige wines from South Africa, not hitherto a region renowned for super-premium offerings. But if these two take off, Chris Losh expects to see more super-...
A new public relations agency has been appointed for two of Coors Brewing Company's beer brands....
Sweden's state-owned retail monopoly Systembolaget is launching an SEK8m (US$960,000) ad campaign to defend its hold on alcohol sales in the country....
Interbrew UK has poached two marketing managers from rival brewers....
Anheuser-Busch is to follow the US launch of its B(E) beer by rolling out the brand in the UK....
Cobra Beer has announced plans to launch Cobra Lower Cal/Lower Carb in the UK....
Interbrew UK has announced plans to launch a new speciality beer....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research