GLOBAL: Bordeaux Index posts record H1 Champagne sales
BI's Champagne sales in the UK are rising
Global wine merchant Bordeaux Index has reported record Champagne sales for the first six months of 2013, with UK consumers leading the charge.
London-headquartered Bordeaux Index (BI) sold GBP5.3m (US$8.1m) worth of Champagne across its markets in the first six months of the year compared to GBP6.5m in all of last year, the company said today (23 July). Its previous full-year global sales record for Champagne was around GBP4m in 2008, and sales in 2011 were just GBP2.4m, BI said.
"This represents a major shift in focus for our clients,” BI founder and MD Gary Boom said. “(UK) consumers are viewing Champagne as an everyday drink to accompany good food, as well as to toast anything from a sports victory to the arrival of summertime.”
Champagne increased its share of BI's overall sales to 11.8% over the past 12 months compared to 3.7% over the previous 12 months, the company said.
BI also has offices in Hong Kong, Singapore and Los Angeles.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research