GLOBAL: Bordeaux Index posts record H1 Champagne sales
BI's Champagne sales in the UK are rising
Global wine merchant Bordeaux Index has reported record Champagne sales for the first six months of 2013, with UK consumers leading the charge.
London-headquartered Bordeaux Index (BI) sold GBP5.3m (US$8.1m) worth of Champagne across its markets in the first six months of the year compared to GBP6.5m in all of last year, the company said today (23 July). Its previous full-year global sales record for Champagne was around GBP4m in 2008, and sales in 2011 were just GBP2.4m, BI said.
"This represents a major shift in focus for our clients,” BI founder and MD Gary Boom said. “(UK) consumers are viewing Champagne as an everyday drink to accompany good food, as well as to toast anything from a sports victory to the arrival of summertime.”
Champagne increased its share of BI's overall sales to 11.8% over the past 12 months compared to 3.7% over the previous 12 months, the company said.
BI also has offices in Hong Kong, Singapore and Los Angeles.
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Asahi loses Q1 sales overseas
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends