GLOBAL: Bordeaux Index posts record H1 Champagne sales
BI's Champagne sales in the UK are rising
Global wine merchant Bordeaux Index has reported record Champagne sales for the first six months of 2013, with UK consumers leading the charge.
London-headquartered Bordeaux Index (BI) sold GBP5.3m (US$8.1m) worth of Champagne across its markets in the first six months of the year compared to GBP6.5m in all of last year, the company said today (23 July). Its previous full-year global sales record for Champagne was around GBP4m in 2008, and sales in 2011 were just GBP2.4m, BI said.
"This represents a major shift in focus for our clients,” BI founder and MD Gary Boom said. “(UK) consumers are viewing Champagne as an everyday drink to accompany good food, as well as to toast anything from a sports victory to the arrival of summertime.”
Champagne increased its share of BI's overall sales to 11.8% over the past 12 months compared to 3.7% over the previous 12 months, the company said.
BI also has offices in Hong Kong, Singapore and Los Angeles.
Global market review of sparkling wine – forecasts to 2016
One of the less heralded developments within the global wine and spirits industry has been the performance of the non-Champagne sparkling wine. Between 2002 and 2012, the category added some 42.5m nin...read more
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites