FRANCE: Bordeaux growers to withhold AOC permits
The powerful Bordeaux et Bordeaux supérieur wine union has voted to block bulk sales of wine when prices fall below EUR1,000 (US$1,178) a barrel.
The union would withhold AOC certificates from producers who do not sell their barrels to traders at this minimum price. Without the certificate, the wine is relegated to vin de table.
A first in France, the measure has been designed to check a steep decline in prices of Bordeaux wine. The union said it would issue certificates only when presented with a contract signed by the producer, trader and Bordeaux wine trade federation, the CIVB, showing that a barrel cost EUR1,000.
A traders' union has cast doubt on the measure, arguing that it would only buy at EUR1,000 if they could find a market for it but has ruled out legal action.
Interest gathers for Taittinger and Lanson. In stark contrast to most of the French wine industry, sales of Champagne have been growing steadily and it is no surprise to find that the possible sale of...
French farmers have always been a militant group but the grave difficulties facing wine producers have prompted an escalation in the level of disruption and violence which demonstrating growers have b...
The Jim Beam Company has launched an interactive, on-line educational Web site for enthusiasts, retailers, distributors and bartenders....
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
One of the leading administrators in the French wine industry has said the industry is finally embracing the "revolutionary" reform needed to cope with declining sales, overproduction and intense comp...
Vin & Sprit is poised to buy a controlling stake in spirits company Cruzan International....
Winegrowers on the southern slopes of Mount St Victoire, near Aix-en-Provence, are celebrating the creation of their own AOC....
Champagne house Vranken-Pommery-Monopole is poised to sign a partnership agreement with south of France-based producer Domaines de Listel, marking its entry into the still wines segment....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends