FRANCE: Bordeaux growers to withhold AOC permits
The powerful Bordeaux et Bordeaux supérieur wine union has voted to block bulk sales of wine when prices fall below EUR1,000 (US$1,178) a barrel.
The union would withhold AOC certificates from producers who do not sell their barrels to traders at this minimum price. Without the certificate, the wine is relegated to vin de table.
A first in France, the measure has been designed to check a steep decline in prices of Bordeaux wine. The union said it would issue certificates only when presented with a contract signed by the producer, trader and Bordeaux wine trade federation, the CIVB, showing that a barrel cost EUR1,000.
A traders' union has cast doubt on the measure, arguing that it would only buy at EUR1,000 if they could find a market for it but has ruled out legal action.
Interest gathers for Taittinger and Lanson. In stark contrast to most of the French wine industry, sales of Champagne have been growing steadily and it is no surprise to find that the possible sale of...
French farmers have always been a militant group but the grave difficulties facing wine producers have prompted an escalation in the level of disruption and violence which demonstrating growers have b...
The Jim Beam Company has launched an interactive, on-line educational Web site for enthusiasts, retailers, distributors and bartenders....
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
One of the leading administrators in the French wine industry has said the industry is finally embracing the "revolutionary" reform needed to cope with declining sales, overproduction and intense comp...
Vin & Sprit is poised to buy a controlling stake in spirits company Cruzan International....
Winegrowers on the southern slopes of Mount St Victoire, near Aix-en-Provence, are celebrating the creation of their own AOC....
Champagne house Vranken-Pommery-Monopole is poised to sign a partnership agreement with south of France-based producer Domaines de Listel, marking its entry into the still wines segment....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends