FRANCE: Bordeaux growers slam AOC proposals
Proposed government changes to France's wine classification system have met stiff opposition from Bordeaux producers.
At present, three categories of French wine exist, Appellations d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC), Vins de Pays and Vins de Table.
The Bordeaux AOC category covers a huge range of wines, from a basic Bordeaux AOC costing as little as EUR1.50 (US$1.95) a bottle, up to better quality wines from well-known appellations like St Emilion or Margaux, which cost EUR20 or more.
Plans outlined by the French government would move lesser AOC wines, together with Vins de Pays, into a new category. The name of the category has not been revealed, but the term Indication d'Origine Contrôlée (IOC) has been suggested.
"It is out of the question. We will vote against [the proposals]," said Bernard Farges, president of the Syndicat des AOC Bordeaux et Bordeaux Supérieur. "We want to remain a rigorous and dependable AOC."
Fears about the new category include doubts about the right to use the words "Bordeaux" or "château" on the label.
A meeting of producers and government officials will be held next week to discuss the proposals.
The news that Yves Bénard is the front-runner for the top job at the INAO is good news for reformers in the French wine industry....
The price of vineyards in and around Champagne rose last year, despite a fall in prices across the rest of France....
A group of 80 French winemakers yesterday (30 May) occupied the Paris headquarters of French regulatory body INAO (Institut national de l'origine et de la qualité) in protest against its reform of win...
With the latest announcement of the new director of INAO (Institut national de l'origine et de la qualité) as Marion Zalay, all key posts are now filled....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
Inter Rhône has appointed an export manager for the UK....
The general director of the wine and Champagne division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton looks to be the front runner to take charge of the Institut National de l'Origine et de la qualité....
Four wine co-ops in France's Midi-Pyrénées region have teamed up to form Vinovalie - some 600 growers cultivating 4,500 hectares of vineyards and producing 350,000 hectolitres of AOC and Vins de Pays ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research