FRANCE: Bordeaux en primeur prices must fall - merchants
The quality of Bordeaux 2008 wine is better than expected, but there will be no 'en primeur' campaign without significant price drops, UK wine merchants have said.
Speaking to just-drinks at this week's annual en primeur tasting, the first chance for merchants to sample the 2008 harvest, Hew Blair, chairman of Justerini and Brook's , said: "We get the feeling that Bordeaux has understood that prices have to come down. And if they do, there may be a market for some of these wines."
Tom Mann, associate director at Bordeaux Index, said: "They may release at good rates for the euro zone, but with the exchange rate, we will need fairly aggressive discounting for the campaign to work in the UK market."
Most prices are expected to be out by the bi-annual VinExpo wine fair in June.
Late last month, just-drinks reported that, according to the head of Vinexpo, the internet would never become an alternative to traditional sales circuits for wine. Try telling that to the e-commerce ...
Wine consumption in the US rose by around 1% in 2008, according to the Beverage Information Group's newly released 2009 Wine Handbook....
France is expecting a wine grape harvest of around 48m hectolitres in 2009, up from 2008 in a tough period for French wine sales at home and abroad....
Some of the biggest New World wine regions, including New Zealand, South Africa and Chile, have formed an alliance to market their wines "as a team" at next year's ProWein trade fair in Germany....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014