FRANCE: Bordeaux en primeur prices must fall - merchants
The quality of Bordeaux 2008 wine is better than expected, but there will be no 'en primeur' campaign without significant price drops, UK wine merchants have said.
Speaking to just-drinks at this week's annual en primeur tasting, the first chance for merchants to sample the 2008 harvest, Hew Blair, chairman of Justerini and Brook's , said: "We get the feeling that Bordeaux has understood that prices have to come down. And if they do, there may be a market for some of these wines."
Tom Mann, associate director at Bordeaux Index, said: "They may release at good rates for the euro zone, but with the exchange rate, we will need fairly aggressive discounting for the campaign to work in the UK market."
Most prices are expected to be out by the bi-annual VinExpo wine fair in June.
Late last month, just-drinks reported that, according to the head of Vinexpo, the internet would never become an alternative to traditional sales circuits for wine. Try telling that to the e-commerce ...
Wine consumption in the US rose by around 1% in 2008, according to the Beverage Information Group's newly released 2009 Wine Handbook....
France is expecting a wine grape harvest of around 48m hectolitres in 2009, up from 2008 in a tough period for French wine sales at home and abroad....
Some of the biggest New World wine regions, including New Zealand, South Africa and Chile, have formed an alliance to market their wines "as a team" at next year's ProWein trade fair in Germany....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends