FRANCE: Bordeaux co-operative acquires local trader
Bordeaux co-operative union Unidor (Union des Caves Coopératives de la Dordogne) has acquired Bergerac-based trader, Socav, one of its major customers.
With an annual turnover of around EUR13m (US$20.1m), Socav had previously been part of Oenoalliance, a union of six family wine merchants specialising in Bordeaux and Languedoc Roussillon wines. However, the company was the only one of the six members making up Oenoallaince which was not acquired by Castel last month (just-drinks 8 May 2008).
"Unidor had already agreed to buy Socav several months before Castel's bid for Oenoalliance," Unidor's director, Christian Coudon, told just-drinks on Wednesday.
Bergerac wines account for around 50% of the 6m bottles marketed annually by Socav, while the remainder includes Bordeaux châteaux and Grands Crus Classés. Some 80% of this global volume is sold through French supermarket chains and 20% exported.
"The acquisition of Socav will take our sales activities to a new level. One of the five members of Unidor, the Cave de Sigoulès, currently markets around 4m bottles annually so together with Socav we will raise our offering to 10m bottles and the objective over the next five years is to raise this to 15m bottles annually," Coudon added.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research