UK: Boddingtons workers look for EU protection
The battle between InBev and workers at its Boddingtons plant in Manchester may head to the European courts. The dispute centres around plans by InBev to close the Manchester brewery and move production of the beer outside the city.
Interbrew is planning to keep its cask ale production in Manchester after the closure - moving it to Hyde's Brewery in Moss Side - but the main production work will move to Lancashire, Scotland and Wales.
Workers are now looking at whether they can apply for brand protection for Boddingtons with the EU, in much the same way as Champagne is protected as a product of designated origin.
Workers hope that they can use the 'Cream of Manchester' and the 'bees of industry of Manchester' taglines to link Boddingtons to the city and make brewing transfer difficult.
Franny Joyce, a Transport and General Workers Union regional industrial organiser, said: "It certainly seems like a good idea to pursue."
The union expects Manchester City Council will support the efforts.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
InBev, the world's largest brewer by volume, said it has achieved overall organic volume growth of 4.1% in the first quarter of 2005, to 47.3m hectolitres, despite tough conditions in the US and Weste...
Interbrew is launching its most aggressive consumer drive yet for its Stella Artois this summer. The company said that its 2005 marketing activity will be spearheaded by a value-added consumer promoti...
Interbrew UK has launched a new advertising campaign for Leffe....
Stella Artois is to launch a new global advertising campaign, according to press reports....
InBev has sold its majority stake in Bosnia's Uniline brewery, according to local reports....
InBev has made an offer to acquire the remaining minority interests in its Russian business SUN Interbrew Ltd (SIL) that it doesn't own, at a price of US$33.41 in cash per security....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends