US: Blow energy drink faces criticism from Congress
Enery drinks brand Blow has come under fire from US Rep Mary Bono-Black, who has branded founder Logan Gola a "scumbag" and claims the product glamourises drug use.
The California congresswoman, who was joined by John Schwarzlose, president and CEO of the Betty Ford Centre, said last week: "To me, Mr Gola is clearly a scumbag."
But Bono-Mack isn't alone in her crusade against Blow. Assemblyman Ralph Caputo announced last week that Blow energy drink mix prompted him to introduce legislation in New Jersey to limit the sale of all energy drinks to minors in his state.
Earlier this week, Logan defended himself and the Blow product. "The congresswoman needs to relax," he said. "We don't market towards children and those offended by our marketing should move on to more important issues."
Logan debated with Bono-Mack on the Fox Business Channel, where he disputed the congresswoman's allegations. "We believe, and most importantly our attorneys believe, that Blow energy drink mix is being lawfully marketed," Gola said.
The Blow founder also exchanged views with Caputo on Fox's Live Desk.
"We support appropriate legislation of energy drinks and feel strongly that minors should be prohibited from consuming all highly caffeinated products," said Gola.
Blow energy drink mix is sold as a white powder contained in a vial, and is marketed as "pure uncut energy".
Coca-Cola's distribution deal with Hansen Natural may best be summed up with the old catchphrase, 'if you can't beat them, join them'....
Research suggesting that caffeine-rich energy drinks could raise blood pressure and increase the risk of heart damage has once again put the debate over the safety of these drinks in the spotlight. Me...
Hansen Natural reached a distribution deal this week with Coca-Cola Co, together with Coca-Cola Enterprises, to distribute its Monster energy drink in six Western European countries as well as Canada ...
As the functional food and drink market develops and choice broadens, consumers are becoming more demanding about how products taste rather than simply buying them for their health-enhancing propertie...
Coca-Cola is it the biggest grocery brand by sales and brand value, according to a survey listing the top 100 brands in the UK....
Hansen Natural has warned that it will take a hefty charge following this week's announcement that it has secured a distribution deal with The Coca-Cola Co. and Coca-Cola Enterprises....
Bisleri International has confirmed plans to invest around US$75m in the expansion of its Indian footprint to the tune of one factory a month for the next two years....
Hansen Natural has secured a long-expected tie-up with The Coca-Cola Co. and Coca-Cola Enterprises for its Monster Energy brand....
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015