UPDATE UK: Blavod eyes Tequila roll out
Blavod Extreme Spirits could launch Tequila brand El Diamante del Cielo into markets outside the US by the end of the year, the company's chief executive said today (19 June).
Blavod and Japanese drinks group Suntory, its partner in the venture behind El Diamante del Cielo, launched the brand in the US last October. The UK-based spirits group's CEO, Jeff Hopmayer, told just-drinks that the two companies would look at markets including Mexico, the UK and parts of Asia.
"The first stage is to make the brand a success in the US - and it's moving pretty quickly - then push on from there," said Hopmayer. "We expect to move into traditional Tequila markets but I wouldn't anticipate that to happen before we've got another five or six months under our belt in the US."
Hopmayer said that Blavod and Suntory were looking to become the leading "ultra-premium, luxury Tequila" in the US with El Diamante del Cielo. He added that a series of awards across the Atlantic illustrated the quality of the brand.
"Our Tequila is simply the best - it really stands on its own. People know that if they're looking for something special in Tequila, that's it. If you're making watered down margaritas, it's not the Tequila for you. Nobody owns that top sector yet - that's where we're aiming at."
Blavod earlier today posted an operating loss of GBP2.5m (US$4.6m), down from GBP4.1m the year before. Turnover soared 72% to GBP5.4m thanks to rising sales of the company's Players Extreme vodka range and Blavod black vodka, particularly in the US.
The company also noted the sales growth of agency brands Mickey Finns liqueurs and Molinari Sambuca in the UK and Italian wine Baroncini in the US.
However, Hopmayer hinted that the company would steer clear of adding to its agency portfolio. "I wouldn't think that we'll continue to take on agency brands. We are looking to take on more brands with an equity stake," he said, adding that the company was in talks on that front.
Hopmayer said the business overall was "going in the right direction faster than we thought" with sales up 63% in the first two months of the current fiscal year but he declined to give a forecast on when Blavod would turn an operating profit.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has made its first foray into the Indian Made Foreign Liquor segment with the launch of a whisky brand called DYC. The US-based group is the latest multinational to enter th...
Brown-Forman has received a ratings boost from an analyst in the US....
The Patrón Spirits Company has struck another distribution deal in Asia with an agreement covering the South Korean market....
Fortune Brands, the parent company of Beam Global Spirits & Wine, has reshuffled some of its top management, creating the position of president and COO....
Blavod Extreme Spirits looks set to be snapped up in the coming weeks....
Japanese firm Suntory has vowed to start brewing Premium Malt's beer at its Kyushu Kumamoto factory from the start of next month, reported the local press....
Russia is set to become a key export market for Tequila producers, according to the company leading the booming super-premium Tequila segment in the US....
The Patrón Spirits Company, best known for its namesake premium Tequila, looks set to move into the wider white spirits category with the acquisition of a vodka and a gin brand....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends