EU: Bitburger loses Bud trademark appeal
German brewer Bitburger has lost its appeal against an EU court ruling allowing Anheuser-Busch to register its Bud, American Bud and Anheuser-Busch Bud brands.
Bitburger had argued that the names were too similar to Bit and Bitte ein Bit, its own brand trademarks. However, EU appeal court judges ruled today (19 October) that "the marks at issue are not similar and there is no likelihood of confusion".
The court said that there was only a slight visual similarity between Bit and Bud, and that there was no risk of the words being confused when spoken aloud, since the pronunciation of the 'i' and 'u' was very different.
A-B cannot call its beer Budweiser in Germany - arch rival Budejovicky Budvar holds the rights to the name there - and would have faced a major problem had the court overruled its right to the shorter Bud form as well.
The two companies also clashed earlier this year over the football World Cup, held in Germany. A-B was the official beer of the tournament, but bowed to pressure from local consumers and allowed Bitburger to also be served at the event, albeit in non-branded glasses.
Anheuser-Busch has come out fighting against claims it is targeting children with one of its alcoholic brands....
Local reports have suggested that India's United Breweries may put a spanner in the works of any potential tie-up between Scottish & Newcastle and SABMiller....
A US consumer watchdog has attacked Anheuser-Busch for its "kid-friendly" marketing of Spykes....
Chinese conglomerate China Resources Enterprise (CRE), SABMiller's ally in the country, has credited a "major leap" in its brewing business for its earnings and sales growth in 2006....
The former Rolling Rock brewery in the US is set to start brewing Samuel Adams. Boston Beer Co. has signed an agreement with a subsidiary of City Brewing to brew some of its beer in Latrobe, Pennsylva...
Goldman Sachs has begun coverage of Dutch brewer Royal Grolsch....
Anheuser-Busch plans to build a greenfield brewery in the Chinese province of Guangdong. The US brewing giant said today (3 April) that the investment would help build on the "significant growth" of i...
The Czech Prime Minister is to visit state-owned brewer Budejovicky Budvar on Friday (6 April) to hold talks on the company's future, just-drinks understands....
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Will South Africa Raise Drinking Age to 21?
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Campari opens office in Canada
- Coca-Cola, A-B InBev express FIFA concerns
- A-B InBev cuts ribbon on Vietnam brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review