GLOBAL: Biopackaging poised to challenge PET? - research
The use of biopackaging in the drinks industry leapt in West Europe and North America last year, albeit from a small base, according to a recently-released report.
The '2011 Zenith Report on Drinks Biopackaging', released late last week, noted that compostable bottles in the two markets rose by 47% in 2010 to over 100m litres, but volumes remain small as a proportion of total volume.
The report also notes that biopackaging has the potential to improve sustainability in beverage packaging, while growing interest in locally-available renewable crops could bring additional scope.
“While the environmental credentials of compostable bottles sit well with increasingly green-minded consumers, challenges such as price, separation from PET and composting facilities persist,” said Zenith's senior analyst, Jenny Foulds.
“Despite the difficulties, we foresee continuing strong growth in development projects. If the challenges can be answered, then volume can gain serious market share.”
For further details on Zenith's report, click here.
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018