SPAIN: Bilbainas celebrates centenary with limited edition launch
The company was founded by the French winemakers Savignon Freres et Cie in 1859, specialising in reserve red wines. In 1901, a group of businessmen from the northern industrial city of Bilbao took control, established a limited company and the company adopted its current name.
The company's reputation grew - the Ederra crianza wines were in daily use at the court of King Alfonso XIII and the company received the Spanish equivalent of the Royal Warrant in 1925.The crianza and reserva wines produced by Bodegas Bilbainas have always been a reference point for the extremely competitive Rioja wine market.
In 1997, the Barcelona based Codorniu group acquired 79 % of the share capital with the intention to improve the distribution and sales of these famous red wines. The new majority shareholders have now increased their shareholding to 87.82 % and have just completed a €10m investment in improving the vineyards and other production installations
Bodegas Bilbainas produce the Ederra, Viña Zaco and the Viña Pomal brands from grapes grown on 245 hectares of the company's own vineyards in the heartland of Rioja Alta, the most prestigious zone in the D.O.
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020