CANADA: Big Rock Brewery reaps FY reward for price hikes
- FY like-for-like net profits climbs by 63% to CAD4.1m (US$4m)
- Net sales in 2012 up by 1.9% to CAD46.1m
- FY operating profits jumps by 68%, hitting CAD5.6m
- Volumes fall by 1.5% to 217,646 hectolitres
Big Rock released its FY results yesterday
Big Rock Brewery raised prices and cut costs last year to help post a healthy leap in full-year profits despite a drop in volumes.
Net profits jumped by 63% to CAD4.1m (US$4m) in the 12 months to 30 December, the Calgary-based company said yesterday (19 March). Net sales were up by 1.9% to CAD46.1m over the same period while operating profits increased by 68% to CAD5.6m.
It was a return to form for the Canadian brewer, which in 2010 posted a full-year net loss of CAD8.2m. The company climbed back into the black in FY results last year.
Big Rock said yesterday: “Volume-driven price promotions utilized in 2011 were scaled back significantly for 2012, resulting in comparatively lower sales volumes but higher profit margins.”
No fourth-quarter results were released, but the company posted a 35% profits increase in Q3.
Big Rock also announced that board members Gordon Tallman and James Jackson will not stand for re-election at the company's meeting of shareholders on 3 May.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015