KOREA: Big leap in super premium whisky sales
The Korea Alcohol and Liquor Industry Association (KALIA) has revealed that sales of super-premium whisky aged over 17 years shot up during the past year by some 254.8% to 304,682 cases. KALIA said the rise had taken place in spite of the economic turndown seen in the country.
The rise in super-premium sales contrasted with the fortunes of the standard sector. Sales of whisky under 12 years fell by 28.7% to 227,307 cases. Sales of premium whisky, aged between 12 to 17 years, were up by 16.7% to 2.66 million cases, representing 83.4% of the total whisky market, 16% higher than last year.
Total whisky sales grew by 23.5% to 1.13 trillion won. In volume terms, sales were up by 18% to 3.19 million cases.
The largest player is Seagram Korea Co with a market share of 31.7%. Jinro Ballentine's (JBC) is the second largest company with a 30.3% share. Hiscot Co. and Lotte Chilsung Beverage Co. are the third and fourth largest companies with market shares of 22.1% and 9% respectively.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits