US: Big cider brands drive on-trade growth - figures
Hard cider in the US is continuing its growth
US on-trade hard cider sales are continuing to outpace beer with growth being driven by the three major brands, according to latest figures.
Boston Beer Company's Angry Orchard, Heineken's Strongbow and Anheuser-Busch InBev's Stella Artois Cidre, which now account for 45% of total on-trade cider volumes, drove around 99% of category volume growth in the year to early November, according to tracking firm Guestmetrics. The three brands posted combined on-trade volume growth of 317%, compared to around 230 other brands, which grew combined volumes by just 0.3% on the prior year, the figures showed.
Overall cider category volumes are up 53% in the year-to-date and 52% in Q3. However, this was a slowdown on Q1 growth.
In contrast, US on-trade beer volumes fell 3.7% in the year-to-date and is “underperforming” wine and spirits, Guestmetrics noted.
The tracking firm said that restaurants offer an opportunity for cider, which still only represents 1% of total US on-trade beer and cider volumes. Currently 70% of US bars and clubs sell hard cider, while only 47% of “casual” dining outlets and 24% of fine dining restuarants stock cider. “The lower penetration among restaurants could represent a significant opportunity in terms of future growth in cider,” the firm said.
Anheuser-Busch InBev last month revealed it plans to launch a new hard cider in the US to capitalise on growth in the category.
Anheuser-Busch InBev NVSA (ABI) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compile...
The ongoing shortage of Corona around the world may actually prove beneficial for Anheuser-Busch InBev in the US. Throw in the FIFA World Cup, which starts next month, and the brewing behemoth could b...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
In this month's look at sustainability issues in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper argues that, however much has been done in the past in this arena. there is always more that can - and should - be done...
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken USA Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a com...
Mergers and acquisitions have to varying degrees been important in shaping the different alcoholic drinks categories....
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018