US: Big cider brands drive on-trade growth - figures
Hard cider in the US is continuing its growth
US on-trade hard cider sales are continuing to outpace beer with growth being driven by the three major brands, according to latest figures.
Boston Beer Company's Angry Orchard, Heineken's Strongbow and Anheuser-Busch InBev's Stella Artois Cidre, which now account for 45% of total on-trade cider volumes, drove around 99% of category volume growth in the year to early November, according to tracking firm Guestmetrics. The three brands posted combined on-trade volume growth of 317%, compared to around 230 other brands, which grew combined volumes by just 0.3% on the prior year, the figures showed.
Overall cider category volumes are up 53% in the year-to-date and 52% in Q3. However, this was a slowdown on Q1 growth.
In contrast, US on-trade beer volumes fell 3.7% in the year-to-date and is “underperforming” wine and spirits, Guestmetrics noted.
The tracking firm said that restaurants offer an opportunity for cider, which still only represents 1% of total US on-trade beer and cider volumes. Currently 70% of US bars and clubs sell hard cider, while only 47% of “casual” dining outlets and 24% of fine dining restuarants stock cider. “The lower penetration among restaurants could represent a significant opportunity in terms of future growth in cider,” the firm said.
Anheuser-Busch InBev last month revealed it plans to launch a new hard cider in the US to capitalise on growth in the category.
The ongoing shortage of Corona around the world may actually prove beneficial for Anheuser-Busch InBev in the US. Throw in the FIFA World Cup, which starts next month, and the brewing behemoth could b...
In this month's look at sustainability issues in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper argues that, however much has been done in the past in this arena. there is always more that can - and should - be done...
Mergers and acquisitions have to varying degrees been important in shaping the different alcoholic drinks categories....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends