GREECE: Berry Bros & Rudd sells distributor W S Karoulias
W S Karoulias will be the subject of a management buy-out
Berry Bros & Rudd has lined up the divestment of its Greek distribution unit, W S Karoulias SA.
The London-based wine and spirits merchant, which sold the Cutty Sark blended Scotch whisky brand to The Edrington Group a year ago, confirmed today (24 January) that W S Karoulias will be the subject of a management buy-out, led by its managing director Chris Argyrou on behalf of IMA SA. Financial details behind the sale were not divulged.
IMA is a Greek drinks distribution company, which is owned by a Cypriot holding group and whose main shareholder is Argyrou.
BB&R's managing director, Hugh Sturges, will be asked to remain on the board of W S Karoulias as chairman, following the retirement of present chairman Tony Easter.
Argyrou will retain his seat on BB&R's “strategy committee” in London, the Greek company said, while W S Karoulias will continue to distribute Cutty Sark in Greece.
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- Wines of the Beautiful South Ups its Game
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk