UK: BenRiach readies GlenDronach push for 2009
BenRiach Distillery Company has lined up a GBP250,000 (US$363,000) investment in the recently-acquired GlenDronach Scotch whisky brand.
The company, which acquired the GlenDronach distillery from Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers division in August, said earlier this week that the investment forms part of a strategy to repackage and relaunch the brand in markets worldwide in 2009.
"We will take GlenDronach back to how it was originally, promoting it as one of Scotland's original sherried whiskies," said BenRiach's managing director, Billy Walker.
Regional sales director James Cowan added: "GlenDronach is a bit of a sleeping giant and was not part of Chivas's expansion plans. But we have great plans for it in our markets in the UK, Germany, the US, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Italy, Switzerland, France, Canada, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and China, amongst others."
A new core range will be released in March, Walker noted, comprising of a 12-, 15- and 18-year-old variant. A non-aged version, along with single cask bottlings and some rare vintage malts will follow in the coming months.
As well as the repackage, BenRiach will invest in a new visitor centre at the Aberdeenshire-based distillery, and a new consumer website.
Glendronach, which speculation suggested cost BenRiach in the region of GBP15m last year, has an annual capacity of 1.5m litres.
Foreign investment has brought valuable marketing nous to China's rice wine-based spirits category but, Mark Godfrey writes from Beijing, there has so far been little change in the balance of power in...
Kirin Holdings has completed the sale of its 3.74% stake in Pernod Ricard for EUR378m (US$532m)....
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has won a long-running dispute against several copycat products in Italy....
Pernod Ricard USA has launched its super premium extension to its Beefeater brand, Beefeater 24, in the US....
A leading world health consultant has backed the Scottish Government's proposal to set a minimum price on alcoholic drinks....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine is launching Tres Generaciones Tequila in the UK, a super premium extension to its Sauza brand....
United Wineries has expanded its UK team with two appointments....
Pernod Ricard has announced that its senior vice-president for trade relations in the US, Chuck Smith, is to retire....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends