FRANCE: Belvedere losses sink deeper in '09
Belvedere losses revealed
Troubled French drinks group Belvédère has seen net losses for 2009 plunge to EUR177.6m (US$234m).
The figure, which compares to losses of EUR61m in the 12 months of 2008, reflects a charge of EUR140.3m from the depreciation of the group's assets – some of which are set to be sold off.
Belvédère’s sales fell to EUR619m from EUR854.7m in 2008.
It said that the poor performance was due to a court placing the group under bankruptcy protection in July 2008. This “significantly reduced the group’s financial capacities in an economic context already very difficult,” it said.
The group, which owns Sobieski vodka, also reported problems results in one of its key countries, Poland, where its market share dwindled from 22.6% to 16.6%.
Belvedere has agreed to sell assets, including spirits subsidiary Marie Brizard, in order to reduce debt and emerge from bankruptcy protection.
For the full announcement, in French, click here.
International spirits brands upped their dominance of the travel retail channel last, according to recent research....
Moët Hennessy has launched a bar tender-targeted competition to choose a global brand ambassador for its Belvedere vodka brand....
- A-B InBev's Move on Tennent's Super Makes Sense
- Analysis - Stock Spirits: Poland's number one
- What's on the M&A cards for San Miguel Brewery?
- Brand Diversification Driving Craft Brewery Growth
- Comment - Wine - Not on the List
- Pernod Ricard's Café de Paris Pear, Pomegranate
- PepsiCo CEO sees "profound" change in US consumers
- William Grant & Sons boosts Travel Retail team
- First Drinks becomes William Grant UK
- William Grant sinks GBP185,000 into "No" camp