US: Belvedere declares US vodka war with Sobieski launch
Belvedere has lined up its Polish vodka brand Sobieski for the US market.
The company said yesterday (25 September) that the launch of Sobieski in the country signifies its attempts to "overthrow overpriced vodkas".
With a suggested retail price of US$10.99 for a 750ml bottle and $19.99 for a 1.75-litre bottle, Sobieski will be available this autumn in major retail stores across the US. Distribution will be handled by Belvedere's Imperial Brands import unit.
"It's time vodka drinkers knew the truth about vodka," said Chester Brandes, president and CEO of Imperial Brands. "Consumers are spending between $30 to $60 a bottle for so-called super-premium vodkas. In essence, they are paying for fancy packaging and bloated marketing costs. It's time to get back to basics with an honest, premium vodka at a price that won't make consumers' heads swim.
"Sobieski Vodka can go head-to-head against competitors' vodkas that charge double or triple the price. We welcome consumers to taste Sobieski Vodka and decide for themselves," Brandes added.
Earlier this week, Belvedere reportedly closed the sale of two soft drinks brands owned by its Marie Brizard unit in France. The group has divested the Pulco brand of fruit concentrates and Sirop Sport cordial line to Orangina Group for EUR178m (US$251.1m), local reports said.
Geographic appellations have existed in the wine world for centuries. In the spirits sector, however, the appellation has been much more sparingly used. But geographical definition is at the core of S...
Premium and super-premium brands have been important drivers in the growing vodka category for some time but among the key trends forecast in a recent report on the vodka market from just-drinks is th...
Davide Campari-Milano has posted a healthy lift in full-year net profit, with all segments delivering growth in 2007....
Italian wines and spirits group Campari is considering a capital increase to fund a major acquisition, and feels the privatisation of V&S Group could provide it with possible acquisition targets, acco...
Skyy Spirits has teamed up with New Line Cinema for its Skyy Vodka brand to become the official spirits sponsor and promotional partner for its new Sex and The City film....
Drinks Americas has posted a slide in sales for its third financial quarter, whilst reporting a decrease in net losses....
Central European Distribution Corporation (CEDC) has closed its acquisition of an 85% interest in Copecresto Enterprises Limited, which owns the Parliament vodka trademarks in Russia and abroad....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018