EUROPE: Comment - Interbrew: beers all round
The EU has approved Interbrew's acquisition of Beck's, deciding there are no competitive concerns. It's good news for Interbrew, which really didn't need a repeat of the Bass debacle. While the EU was concerned that Interbrew would own the top two premium beer brands in the UK, an unspecified amendment to the licensing agreement with S&N has placated the regulator. Now Interbrew is free to enjoy the benefits of a well-timed acquisition. Interbrew can breathe a sigh of relief. After a year of regulatory uncertainty concerning its Bass acquisition, it looked like the same thing was going to happen all over again. The Belgian beer giant's ambitious expansion plans are under constant review, but this time the EU is letting them through without a hitch.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research