US: Beer, wine, spirit sales up but slowing in 2007 - figures
Spirits, wine and beer continued to grow in the US in last year, but the industry boom has slowed, according to an annual report.
Wine sales were up for the 14th consecutive year, by 4% on 2006 to 294.4m cases, spirits grew for the tenth year, reaching 182.4m 9-litre cases (3.2%), and beer was up for the second year, to 2.93bn cases (1.2%), according to the Handbook Advance published by the Beverage Information Group (previously Adams).
"Inventive marketing and more approachable products have helped increase wine's appeal to a younger segment of the adult population," said Eric Schmidt, manager of information services. "Spirits still grew, but the effect of the slowing economy on restaurant consumption is apparent."
In 2007, imported spirits grew to 40.3% of consumption. Vodka grew 6.7% and now accounts for 28.9% of the spirits business while number two rum grew 5.1%.
Almost every country exporting wine to the US showed growth, with Italy up 8.8% and France up 6.6%.
Gloomy talk of a global economic slowdown have so far failed to dilute growth in the US vodka category. One of the better known contenders in the segment - if only for its ocean blue-coloured bottle -...
Pernod Ricard has confirmed the executive team for its recently-acquired Vin & Sprit Absolut Spirits....
Maxxium has lined up a travel retail promotional event at Munich Airport inspired by the city's Oktoberfest....
Global Brands has added another product to its VK Vodka Kick range in the UK....
Halewood International is to alter the packaging of its vodka-based Red Square Reloaded in the UK, to make it clear the drink contains alcohol....
Under-pressure French wine & spirits firm Belvedere has opened a new office in Panama as it looks to expand duty free sales for its brands in the region....
Canadian spirits group Corby Distilleries said its focus on premium sectors had paid off with a 6% revenue rise over the last year....
Skyy Spirits has poached a former Constellation Brands executive to head up the brand management of its namesake vodka brand....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets