POLAND: Beer volumes rebound in H1
Beer volumes up by 7% in Poland in H1
Poland’s beer production reached 19.09m hectolitres in the first half of 2011, up 7.1% over the same period a year earlier.
According to new figures from the country’s Central Statistical Office, Poland’s beer production was 4.12m hectolitres in June alone, up 11.2% over the same month last year.
The statistics tally with reports from SABMiller of a resurgence in its own business in Poland. SABMiller's beer volumes in the country rose by 4% for the three months to the end of June, on a weak comparative period.
Brewers face tougher comparative numbers in the third quarter, according to Gary Haigh, who is CEO of SABMiller's Polish subsidiary, Kompania Piwowarska. "In 2010, sales increased slightly due to a record warm July and high sales in the third quarter of the year,” said Haigh, who is also head of the Union of the Brewing Industry Employers in Poland.
"The past two years have brought a steep rise in sales of cheaper beer brands," he told just-drinks. But, he added that premium and super-premium brands have also grown.
The second part of January's management briefing sees Spiros Malandrakis and Zsuzsa Szilagyi, alcoholics drinks analysts at Euromonitor International, turn their attention to beer and cider. What doe...
Pete Brown is back, refreshed, raring to go, and pondering the future. "Which way will beer go in 2012?", he asks the tea leaves....
SABMiller's Chinese joint-venture, CR Snow Breweries, could get a second chance to dig its claws into Kingway Brewery and mount a stronger challenge to Tsingtao in the country's Guangdong province....
SABMiller has appointed new heads for its Royal Grolsch and Birra Peroni beer businesses....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020