JAPAN: Beer shipments continue slide in 2007 - figures
Beer shipments in Japan continued their downward trend last year, according to recent figures.
Domestic shipments of beer, happoshu and so-called third category beer beverages slipped by 0.3% in 2007, compared to a year earlier, coming in at 496.1m cases. The decrease marks the third year in a row that shipments have fallen, and marked the lowest level since 1992, when such statistic reporting began.
The figures, collated from Japan's five major brewers yesterday (17 January), show Asahi Breweries as maintaining its market leadership position for the seventh straight year, with 37.9% share - up by 0.1% on 2006. Kirin Brewery came in just 0.1% behind Asahi, thanks to a 0.2% lift in shipments from the company.
In category terms, shipments of regular beer were down by 0.9% year-on-year at 274m cases, with low-malt happoshu shipments down 2.5% to 121.7m cases. Third category beer-like beverages, meanwhile increased by 4.4% in 2007 to 100.4m cases.
One case contains the equivalent of 20 633ml bottles.
The Master Kong brand has outperformed domestic and international competitors alike in the Chinese RTD tea category and is also diversifying into new beverage sectors, extending an already multi-facet...
Asahi Breweries is to hike its wine prices by 3-20% as a result of increased procurement costs, according to reports....
Asahi Breweries is looking to begin exporting whiskey to Russia in July, according to local reports....
San Miguel Brewery has had a 'buy' rating initiated on its stock by Citigroup....
Asahi Breweries aims to almost quadruple its overseas revenue to YN200bn ($1.86 billion) within five years from YN55.4bn in 2007 as it tries to offset declining alcohol consumption at home, according ...
InBev has confirmed the pending arrival of three of its beer brands in the Japanese market....
Asahi Breweries will combine its production systems with those of subsidiary Nikka Whisky Distilling Co to centrally manage ingredient inventories at their 16 breweries and distilling facilities, acco...
Poor weather and rising costs have failed to hinder Lion Nathan, which has posted a healthy set of figures for the first half of its financial year....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research