UK: Beer sales drop 5% in Q2
UK on-trade beer sales are continuing to suffer
UK beer sales fell by nearly 5% in this year's second quarter, but the decline in the off-trade slowed.
Total beer sales in the three months to June were down by 4.8%, the British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) reported today (26 July). Off-trade sales fell by 3.6% in the period, but this was the lowest second-quarter fall since 2005.
Sales of beer in shops and supermarkets were flat year-on-year in the first quarter.
The UK's on-trade continues to suffer, with beer sales in this year's Q2 down 5.8%. This follows a 5.5% decrease in the first three months of the year.
The BBPA flagged that the second-quarter figures were set against last year's Q2 that included the European Football Championships, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and a double Bank Holiday.
Brigid Simmonds, the BBPA's chief executive, said: “The figures clearly show that the market ... is still very challenging.”
Yesterday, Kent brewer and pub company, Shepherd Neame, announced details of a new logsitics deal which will see it up its focus on international sales.
Earlier this year, the UK Government cancelled its controversial alcohol duty escalator on beer, but left it in place for wine and spirits.
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research