UK: Beer sales drop 5% in Q2
UK on-trade beer sales are continuing to suffer
UK beer sales fell by nearly 5% in this year's second quarter, but the decline in the off-trade slowed.
Total beer sales in the three months to June were down by 4.8%, the British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) reported today (26 July). Off-trade sales fell by 3.6% in the period, but this was the lowest second-quarter fall since 2005.
Sales of beer in shops and supermarkets were flat year-on-year in the first quarter.
The UK's on-trade continues to suffer, with beer sales in this year's Q2 down 5.8%. This follows a 5.5% decrease in the first three months of the year.
The BBPA flagged that the second-quarter figures were set against last year's Q2 that included the European Football Championships, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and a double Bank Holiday.
Brigid Simmonds, the BBPA's chief executive, said: “The figures clearly show that the market ... is still very challenging.”
Yesterday, Kent brewer and pub company, Shepherd Neame, announced details of a new logsitics deal which will see it up its focus on international sales.
Earlier this year, the UK Government cancelled its controversial alcohol duty escalator on beer, but left it in place for wine and spirits.
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research