UK: Beer sales drop 5% in Q2
UK on-trade beer sales are continuing to suffer
UK beer sales fell by nearly 5% in this year's second quarter, but the decline in the off-trade slowed.
Total beer sales in the three months to June were down by 4.8%, the British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) reported today (26 July). Off-trade sales fell by 3.6% in the period, but this was the lowest second-quarter fall since 2005.
Sales of beer in shops and supermarkets were flat year-on-year in the first quarter.
The UK's on-trade continues to suffer, with beer sales in this year's Q2 down 5.8%. This follows a 5.5% decrease in the first three months of the year.
The BBPA flagged that the second-quarter figures were set against last year's Q2 that included the European Football Championships, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and a double Bank Holiday.
Brigid Simmonds, the BBPA's chief executive, said: “The figures clearly show that the market ... is still very challenging.”
Yesterday, Kent brewer and pub company, Shepherd Neame, announced details of a new logsitics deal which will see it up its focus on international sales.
Earlier this year, the UK Government cancelled its controversial alcohol duty escalator on beer, but left it in place for wine and spirits.
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research