BRAZIL: Beer production dips in 2013 - figures
Brazil's brewers are hoping for a bumper year in 2014
Beer production in Brazil fell for the first time in four years in 2013, according to Brazil’s System of Beverages Production Control (SICOBE).
Breweries produced 13.47bn litres of beer last year, down by 2% from 13.74bn litres in 2012, according to the real-time SICOBE monitoring system managed by Brazil’s federal tax authority Receita Federal.
Sales of beers in cans rose from 5.33bn units in 2012 to 5.58bn in 2013. Conversely, sales of beer in returnable bottles amounted to 7.44bn litres, down 6.53% from 2012. Sales of beer in non-returnable glass bottles and other formats also fell, by 4.07% to 443.4m bottles in 2013.
The sector’s poor performance in 2013 is attributed to inflation of food prices and lower disposable income among consumers.
Late last year, Anheuser-Busch InBev's Brazilian division, AmBev, saw beer volumes in the country fall by 5% in the three months to the end of September and by 4.7% in the first nine months of 2013, due to on-going "weak economy and challenging consumer environment".
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2014....
Having already run his eye over an Anheuser-Busch InBev move for SABMiller, our beer commentator, Larry Nelson, runs through what alternatives the world's biggest brewer may consider to spend its mone...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research