CANADA: Beer price war intensifies - report
The price war engulfing Canada's beer market has intensified, according to press reports. Lakeport Brewing announced on Monday (4 October) that it will drop the price of some brands to C$23.70 (including deposit) for a case of 24, the Globe and Mail said yesterday (5 October). This equals the lowest price allowed under Ontario law.
Last week, Canadian brewer Molson blamed discount pricing for lower-than expected profits the newspaper noted.
The price war moved up a gear last week when Molson introduced its Bohemian brand into the Ontario market at C$24, undercutting Lakeport's previous lowest price of C$26.40.
Lakeport's latest move takes effect from next Monday (11 October), the newspaper said. The discounter has seen its market share rise in the Ontario off-trade market to 5% from 1.8%.
Both Molson and Labatt have lobbied the provincial government to raise the floor price on beer, the paper noted.
Molson Coors is more likely than not to keep hold of its Brazilian operations because of the huge potential of the market there, an analyst has said. This is despite a run of poor results from the com...
Molson is to start production of Coors' Blue Moon beer for the US market from its Montreal brewery....
First quarter losses announced last week by Molson Coors are wider than originally reported, according to a recent filing....
Molson Coors Brewing Company disappointed investors yesterday by reporting a net loss for the first quarter of 2005. The company said that it had achieved higher consolidated net sales and sales volum...
Molson Coors Brewing Company said yesterday that Daniel J. O'Neill, Vice-chairman, synergies and integration and formerly president and CEO of Molson Inc, has chosen to leave the company May 31 of thi...
Heineken has its eyes on possible acquisitions in Latin America, according to the company's CEO....
Molson Canada has announced it has acquired Ontario microbrewery Creemore Springs Brewery Ltd. Established in 1987, the brewery in Creemore, Ontario, 120 kilometres northwest of Toronto, employs 50 pe...
Peter M. R. Kendall, chief executive officer of Coors Brewers Limited, the European business unit of Molson Coors Brewing Company, will retire from his post on 1 May....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015