UK: Beer market set for future struggles - research
A recent report has predicted a gloomy future for the beer market in the UK.
'Breweries & the Beer Market', a report by market intelligence providers Key Note, has warned that the beer market in the country will do well to remain static in growth terms in the coming years. The report, issued today (3 October), said that growth was hard to achieve last year, with consumption volumes regularly falling since 2003.
While prices paid for the average litre of beer have risen by 10.2% since 2002, beer's dominance of the alcoholic drinks market in the UK "is constantly under threat from continually changing drinking fashions", the report noted. In the five years to 2007, beer has lost market share to drinks such as white wine, RTDs and cider.
A combination of factors, such as the anti-alcohol and anti-obesity lobbies and general health awareness, coupled with the ban on smoking inside pubs and clubs, do not make for a promising future for the beer market, the report concluded.
"Beer plays a central role in British social life and any dramatic collapse of the market is difficult to imagine," Key Note said. "The main threat to the market could lie in a social movement away from alcohol entirely - with the anti-alcohol lobby (obviously) and the anti-obesity lobby including beer as a major target."
Sectors: Beer & cider
A delimited production area is both the main strength and weakness of a wine appellation, a guarantee of quality but a major obstacle to growth. Plans in Champagne, arguably the premier appellation of...
Strong beers may offer brewers significant growth potential but their perception as a cheap way of consuming alcohol puts them directly in the regulatory sights of governments looking to tackle excess...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Carlsberg's Vietnamese joint venture is poised to take a larger stake than expected in Hanoi Beer Alcohol and Beverage Corporation (Habeco)....
Carlsberg has confirmed plans to introduce a reduced calorie and low carbohydrate version of two of its beer brands across the Danish market next week....
The Coca-Cola Co. and Illycaffè have finalised their global joint venture, kickstarting it with the launch of three premium RTD coffee products across a number of European markets....
Vinmonopolet has recorded a healthy rise in sales in February....
Systembolaget saw sales of organic products leap last year, according to recent figures....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages