UK: Beer, cider can exports go rusty as rain hits 2012 - figures
Can shipments decreased slightly last year
Shipments of beer and cider cans in the UK dipped last year as bad weather hit sales, but CSDs proved more resilient, new figures have revealed.
Beer and cider can shipments declined by 2.2% to 4.3m in 2012 year-on-year, according to UK beverage can manufacturers body Can Makers yesterday (18 February). The body blamed “unsettled” economic conditions and rain affecting outdoor events.
Last summer was the wettest in a century, according to the Met Office.
However, despite the rain and industry concerns, CSD can shipments grew marginally, by 0.6%, to 5.1m, Can Makers said.
“Figures show that the can industry is robust and has stood up well to the challenges presented by historic summer weather conditions and a double-dip recession,” Can Makers' chairman Geoff Courtney said. “Both CSD and beer and cider markets are in good shape and have out-performed most other FMCG (fast-moving consumer goods) products in 2012.”
Meanwhile, 50cl cans showed the biggest shipment increase (27%) as the energy drinks category continued to grow. The most popular can multi-pack format for CSDs is eight-packs, having overtaken single serves, Can Makers said.
Total UK empty can shipments for last year reached 9.4m cans, a decrease of 0.7% year on year, according to the figures. In the first half of the year, can shipments were up by 2% on 2011, Can Makers said in September.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets