JAPAN: Beer category shipments suffer setback in November - figures
October's slight lift in beer category shipments from Japan's brewers was halted last month, according to the industry's latest figures.
Shipments of beer and beer-like beverages in November registered a year-on-year dip of 1.1%, industry data showed today (12 December). The slide was driven by a marked fall in 'happoshu' shipments. While total shipments for the month registered 39.3m cases - a case containing the equivalent of 20 633ml bottles - 'happoshu' shipments dropped by 9.8% to 9m cases. Local reports have blamed the lack of new product launches in the category for the fall.
While beer shipments dropped by 1.2% to 22.1m cases, shipments of third-category beer - which has little or no malt content - leapt by 10.8% on November 2006, to 8.1m cases.
In October, total shipments rose by 0.8%, driven by the arrival of new brands from both Kirin and Asahi in the third-category sector.
Suntory plans to invest a total of JPY6bn (US$58m) to expand production and sales of health supplements in South East Asia, according to local reports....
Poor weather and rising costs have failed to hinder Lion Nathan, which has posted a healthy set of figures for the first half of its financial year....
UK beer maker Wells and Young's Brewing Company has renewed its licensing deal with Japanese brewer Kirin, securing long-term brewing, sales and marketing rights for the super-premium Japanese lager, ...
Beer shipment by Japan's five largest brewers fell 11.3% to a combined 245,666 kilolitres in April from a year earlier, due to price hikes by brewery giant Asahi....
Suntory has teamed up with the Nestlé Waters subsidiary Calistoga Beverage Co. to distribute its Japanese green tea brand Iyemon Cha across the US....
Kirin Holdings and Sapporo Holdings are looking to merge their beer distribution in the north of Japan, according to local reports....
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like products in Japan registered a fall in the first three months of 2008, according to recent figures....
Kirin Holdings is on the hunt for partnerships in India, Thailand and Vietnam, according to local reports....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends